Caption: Albert Bond Lambert as an Army lieutenant in 1917, when he was a balloon-flight instructor at a training camp at South Grand Boulevard and Meramec Street in south St. Louis. He rose to major before being discharged. Lambert's family owned Lambert Pharmacal Co. in St. Louis, makers of Listerine. He was a company officer until 1927, but spent most of his early life as an aviation pioneer. The city's first trained pilot, he learned how to fly from Orville Wright, one of the famous flying brothers, and he promoted airplane and balloon flying. In 1920, he was part of a group that established the Kinloch flying field in northwest St. Louis County, and Lambert became the owner before selling it to the city of St. Louis on Feb. 8, 1928. The purchase was the beginning of today's Lambert-St. Louis International Airport, named in his honor. He also served on the St. Louis City Council, one of its two legislative chambers before the city created its Board of Aldermen in 1914, and was on the St. Louis Police Board from 1933 to 1941. He was working on post-war plans to expand the airport when he died Nov. 12, 1946, at age 70. (Post-Dispatch)
Album ID: 938445
Photo ID: 27834680
This is a low-resolution representation of a high-resolution photo suitable for print reproduction. If the image displayed above is color - the print will be color. If the image displayed above is black and white - the print will be black and white.
This preview does not represent high image quality of the products that can be ordered from this site.
Unauthorized reproduction of this image prohibited by law. Watermarks do not appear on the final product.