Caption: Deputy fire chief James Sauerwein sits at the wheel of and old water tower truck on July 23, 1954, shortly before it was retired from service. The department bought the 65-foot tower in 1885 and pulled it with a team of horses. In 1928, one year after the department retired its last horse teams, its mechanics hooked the tower to the motor-powered tractor. It was in service until 1950. The tower was an early version of the snorkel booms on today's fire trucks, allowing firefighters to shoot water down onto fires. Standing next to the old device is the department's master mechanic, Fred Witler. They are shown in a bay at the department garage, Spruce Street and 12th Boulevard (now Tucker), which still is in use. (Lloyd Spainhower/Post-Dispatch)
Album ID: 1073618
Photo ID: 31458952
This is a low-resolution representation of a high-resolution photo suitable for print reproduction. If the image displayed above is color - the print will be color. If the image displayed above is black and white - the print will be black and white.
This preview does not represent high image quality of the products that can be ordered from this site.
Unauthorized reproduction of this image prohibited by law. Watermarks do not appear on the final product.