Caption: The Papin Building, 113 North Main Street, one of the buildings of historical interest that was razed to make way for the Arch. In 1854, it housed the U.S. District Court, which that year heard the slavery case of Dred and Harriet Scott. The Scotts won their freedom during a trial at the St. Louis County (Old) Courthouse in 1850, but the Missouri Supreme Court overturned that decision. The Scotts then appealed to the federal court, which also sided with the Scotts' owners. That was the decision appealed to the U.S. Supreme Court, which in 1857 rendered its fateful decision against the Scotts, not only siding with the owners but ruling that blacks were not citizens and that slaves could be taken into any of the territories. That decision accelerated the pace toward Civil War. (Post-Dispatch)
Album ID: 1092643
Photo ID: 31999545
This is a low-resolution representation of a high-resolution photo suitable for print reproduction. If the image displayed above is color - the print will be color. If the image displayed above is black and white - the print will be black and white.
This preview does not represent high image quality of the products that can be ordered from this site.
Unauthorized reproduction of this image prohibited by law. Watermarks do not appear on the final product.