Caption: The Old Custom House, at 218 North Third Street, completed in 1859. It was the seat of federal power here during the Civil War and was the main federal building until the (Old) Post Office and Custom House, 815 Olive Street, was completed in 1884. The National Park Service put the Old Custom House on a short list of buildings considered for preservation, but there wasn't enough public outcry to save it. During the 1930s, it housed an Army recruiting station, the Works Progress Administration and other federal offices. It was razed in 1941. (Post-Dispatch)
Album ID: 1092643
Photo ID: 31999551
This is a low-resolution representation of a high-resolution photo suitable for print reproduction. If the image displayed above is color - the print will be color. If the image displayed above is black and white - the print will be black and white.
This preview does not represent high image quality of the products that can be ordered from this site.
Unauthorized reproduction of this image prohibited by law. Watermarks do not appear on the final product.