Look Back: Old County Courthouse, 1878
Date: 4/15/2011 Album ID: 1226632
Photos by St.Louis Post-Dispatch photographers and the Missouri History Museum
On April 19, 1878, farmer Ralph Clayton shoved a spade into the earth in unincorporated St. Louis County, and the construction of the St. Louis County Courthouse began. Clayton, a 90-year-old farmer, had donated 100 acres for the $38,000 facility.