Look Back: the "Pathfinder",1861
Date: 7/23/2011 Album ID: 1289524
Photos by Missouri History Museum and the Library of Congress
by Tim O'Neil --- Gen. John C. Fremont made his reputation exploring the West, earning the nickname "Pathfinder." The new commander of the Department of the West rode into town July 25, 1861, flanked by his retinue of plumed exiles from European revolutions. He and his wife, Jessie, established headquarters in a mansion at Eighth Street and Chouteau Avenue, but spent most of their time in well-guarded seclusion. Fremont and his 150-man body guard charged through the city like royalty, and after only three months, his command was marked by indecision, aloofness and grand statements that finally exasperated President Abraham Lincoln.